The Civil Division is charged with the responsibility of processing Civil Documents such as Summons, Subpoenas, Writs, Executions, etc.
from Courts in Ohio.
Documents from any State in the United States will also be processed, but certain conditions apply (see Section below)
The Civil Division shall also execute process issued by another state only if it contains either of the following:
- A certification by the judge of the court that issued the process stating that the issuing court has jurisdiction to issue the process and that the documents being forwarded conform to the laws of the state in which the court is located.
- If the process is an initial summons to appear and defend issued after the filing of a complaint commencing an action, a certification by the clerk of the court that issued the process stating that the process was issued in conformance with the laws of the state in which the court is located.
After service is complete, the civil clerk prepares the Return for Court, or to where the document originated.
Call the Civil Division at 419-424-7239 for help
- Check or Money Order accepted - NO PERSONAL CHECKS ACCEPTED
- Make checks payable to Hancock County Sheriff's Office
- No personal checks accepted
- ONLY papers to be served marked SERVE and stapled/clipped together
- a Return of Service marked RETURN for us to complete
- A Self-Addressed Stamped envelope